Dig Oblong Hole 4 1/2' Long By 3' Wide and 2 1/2' Deep. Make It
- Slit between shoulders and ribs to backbone and up to head, being
- careful not to cut through the skin. Rub 1 handful Hawaiian (coarse)
- salt in slits. Rob 4 handfuls salt inside pig. Put hot stones in
- slits and opu (abdomen), as many as they will hold. Tie the 4 legs
- together. Line 4' by 4' piece of chicken wire with ti leaves.
- Place pig on it. Then cover hot stones in imu (pit) with 4 banana
- trunks that have been cut 2' long and crushed with blunt side of
- an axe. Lay netting containing pig on banana stalks. Cover with
- 2 dozen banana leaves or 6-8 dozen ti leaves.
larger if pig is larger size. Lay kindling in bottom. Put long. stick upright in center of imu. Lay firewood around it using 3-4. bags of wood. Cover wood with imu (round, porous) stones, about. 40-50, more if necessary. Make a lighter by wrapping rag around. end of long stick. Dip in kerosene. Light. Remove center pole. and light kindling through the hole. Burn till wood becomes glowing. coals and stones are very hot.. Completely cover this with 1 dozen burlap bags. Cover bags with sand. Allow pig to cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours according to size. Remove sand, bags, leaves, and stones inside pig. Put pig in large container. Cut in generous servings. Serve at once.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Hawaiian Recipes"
Try a recipe for poi or learn how to have a pig roast. You'll find these and many other Hawaiian recipes.