Chicken 'ono Nui
Chicken and pineapple - baked in a coconut shell! Chicken 'Ono Nui is both delicious AND aesthetically pleasing!
Variation: Substitute tuna or turkey for chicken.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pimento, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 3 coconuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim rough fiber from coconut shells. Saw in half crosswise.
- Combine oil, flour and milk in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until you have a smooth white sauce.
- Add chicken, salt, pimiento, and pineapple.
- Fill coconut halves with chicken-pineapple mixture.
- Place in shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Coconut meat becomes firm and cannot be eaten.
Read Next20+ Quick & Easy Hawaiian Recipes