This delectable Easter pie recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and citrus. Our family likes to serve it for pretty much every holiday...and even some other days just because it tastes so good!
Cooking Time1 hr
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon orange peel
- 1 dash salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup diced citron
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the 1-2/3 cups of flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and baking powder; cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Add eggs; stir until moistened and mixture forms a ball.
- Cover and chill for one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface; roll out dough to a 10 inch circle.
- Place in a 9-inch pie pan and flute edges. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For filling, beat the ricotta, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add peels and dash of salt; beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the 4 eggs until thick and lemon colored; about 5 minutes.
- Slowly fold into ricotta mixture.
- Gently mix in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into the crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes or until pie tests done.