Grapes 'n Grain Chicken Salad
You can't go wrong with this great twist on a classic lunch recipe. Super easy to mix together, this Grapes 'n Grain Chicken Salad will definitely be a new family favorite. Grapes add a burst of juice and tang while toasted walnuts add a sweet and savory crunch. The texture from the grain makes this a truly exciting eating experience. This chicken salad is perfect for when you are in a rush. Simply serve on bread or on a bed of spinach. With all the protein from the nuts and meat, you will power through the rest of you day after this delicious lunch.
Cooking Time25 min
- Mixture of baby bok choy, spinach and swiss chard, washed and drained
- 2 cups cooked white chicken, shredded or chopped
- 1 cup Angie's Special Sweet'n Savory Toasted Walnuts
- 1/2 cup dry millet
- 3 large celery stalks, washed and finely chopped
- 3 green onions, washed and chopped
- 1 cup seedless grapes, washed and cut in half or cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- spicy ground red pepper or ground black pepper to taste
- For Angie's Special Sweet'n Savory Toasted Walnuts
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
For Angie's Special Sweet'n Savory Toasted Walnuts
Drizzle the melted butter on top of the walnuts and then stir in the salt, pepper and brown sugar until the walnuts look covered.
Spread on a cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes (or until desired crispness is achieved). Check every 5 minutes and turn the nuts so they will be toasty crispy on both sides. Allow the walnuts to cool before adding to the chicken salad.
For Chicken Salad
Prepare the millet: add dry millet to 2 cups water with a dash of salt - bring to boil & then simmer for 25 minutes or until desired texture is achieved. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl - with a wooden spoon - mix together all of the prepared ingredients (chicken, walnuts, vegetables, flax, grapes, millet, mayonnaise & pepper).