Cold Sauerkraut Salad
Wondering how to serve sauerkraut? This sauerkraut salad recipe is a refreshing change from the typical preparation, and it's perfect for everything from a picnic to a pork dinner.
Cooking Time5 min
- 1 can (20-ounce) shredded sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup malt or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 small jar pimiento, small dice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- Drain sauerkraut, reserving liquid.
- Combine sauerkraut liquid, vinegar, sugar, and oil in a small saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Pour hot mixture over all and mix well.
- Transfer salad to a sealable storage container and refrigerate overnight for best flavor and texture.