Bavarian Pot Roast
If you're looking to expand your culinary horizons, try this Bavarian Pot Roast. Cook up this pot roast in a slow cooker and season it with sweet apples and spicy ginger. This tasty one pot meal makes plenty of servings, so eat up!
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 4 pounds beef shoulder
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 unpeeled apples, cored and quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- Wipe roast well and trim off all excess fat. Lightly rub top of meat with oil. Dust meat with salt, pepper, and ginger. Insert cloves in meat.
- Place apples and onions in the bottom of the slow cooker and put the roast on top of the apples and onions. Pour in the apple juice. Cover and cook on a low setting for 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove the roast and apples to a warm platter when fully cooked. Turn the slow cooker to high setting. Make a smooth paste with the flour and water and stir the paste into the slow cooker. Cover and cook until thickened. Pour gravy over roast when serving.
Read NextSlow Cooker Chicken Recipe