Healthy Mongolian Chicken
Healthy Mongolian Chicken is a quick and easy dinner recipe that is sure to be a hit with your family in no time. This delicious chicken stir fry dish is a nice way to bring protein and veggies to the table in a tasty meal that everyone will love. By combining low-sodium soy sauce with rice wine, rice vinegar, sesame oil and cornstarch, your chicken and veggies are coated in a wonderfully-flavored sauce with the perfect consistency. This is one of those dishes you can whip up at any time with minimal effort, which means it's perfect for those busy nights when you're feeling lazy but still want to put a quality meal on the table.
- This is a typical stir-fry recipe, which uses many Oriental ingredients. They are easily available, inexpensive and last for a long, long time on the pantry shelf, so don’t be afraid to buy them and use them in any dish when you want to add some Asian flair.
- All of the ingredients should be prepared and sitting close at hand before the pan begins heating. Once you begin to stir fry, the whole process takes only 5 minutes before it is ready for the table.
Cooking Time5 min
- For Chicken Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch x 2-inch strips (about 1 pound)
- For Cooking Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Cornstarch Mixture:
- 2 teaspoons water
- Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2-3 green onions, including some of the tops, cut into 1-inch slivers
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the marinade, combine soy sauce, cornstarch and chicken in a small bowl and mix very well to completely coat the chicken with marinade.
For the cooking sauce combine soy sauce, rice wine, rice vinegar, sesame oil in another small bowl and set aside.
Place a wok or nonstick wide deep skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil, swirling until the oil shimmers. Add the chicken and toss over high heat, stirring constantly until chicken is opaque, about 2 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and add the remaining oil.
Stir fry the garlic, ginger, green onion and pepper flakes until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Stir in the sauce mixture and the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to boil. Return chicken to the pan, cook and stir one more minute until sauce is thickened.
Serve over white rice and garnish with slivers of green onion tops.
Read NextChicken a la King