Classic Chicken a la King
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Creamy and delicious, Chicken a la King has been a household staple for years. Make Classic Chicken a La King for your family and try comfort food at its finest. Served over, rice, toast or butter noodles, its creamy flavor will have you hooked. Made with deliciously-buttery and flakey puff pastry dough, diced chicken, butter, milk, mushrooms and red pepper, this dish tastes very similar to a chicken pot pie, and is oozing with comforting flavor. Make this dish for a weeknight dinner, or any time you're feeling like you need a little hug from your food. This recipe is sure to hit the spot each and every time!
Be sure to ENTER TO WIN The Ultimate Holiday Meal Plan! Leave a comment on this page and you will receive a bonus entry. Don't miss the grand prize giveaway including one of each prize featured in the 10 Days of Thanks!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough (or 1 package puff pastry individual pastry shells (see note).
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast (one large or two small)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper (see note)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold the pastry sheet (if using) and cut into 9 squares or use a 4-inch round cutter to cut into 6 rounds. Place the shapes on the lined bake sheet and bake until golden brown per package directions.
- Meanwhile, place chicken breast into a saucepan and cover with the water, adding salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer on lowest heat about 20 minutes until meat is nearly cooked through. Drain using a wire sieve over a measuring cup and set broth aside. Cut chicken into ¾ inch cubes.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté mushrooms and pepper until lightly browned and any juices have evaporated. Sprinkle with the flour and continue to cook and stir 2 minutes to cook the flour.
- Add milk to the measuring cup with the broth to make 3 cups liquid total. Stir this mixture into the pan with the chicken and continue to stir until thickened, adding parsley and salt and pepper.
- To serve, split the puff pastry pieces in half horizontally, and place on serving plate(s). Spoon some of the filling on the bottom and replace the top pieces. Serve immediately.
- The peppers give the finished dish nice color; you may use red or green fresh pepper or these can be omitted and instead stir ¼ cup canned pimento into the creamy mixture at the end of cooking.
- If using the pastry shells, bake as directed. Cut out the pre-made circle of pastry and use that as the top to serve. These give a cup-shaped container for spooning the filling into and this is the classic way to serve Chicken a la King. However if you would prefer, you may use this filling on top of biscuits, toast, or pasta instead.
- This recipe may also be used to make pot pies. Cut the pastry into round shapes slightly larger than bowls or ramekins in which you would like to serve the pot pies and bake as above. Then to serve, spoon filling into individual bowls and top with a pastry round just before serving.
If you liked this recipe using puff pastry dough, you'll love these 22 Easy Recipes Using Crescent Rolls.
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of November 20th, 2017.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until November 19th, 2017 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
What is your go-to chicken recipe?
Answer below for your chance to win!
Images from other cooks
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- How to Make Chicken Hakka Chowmein
- Chinese Chicken Noodle One-Pot
- Country Club Chicken Dinner
- Inspired by KFC's Secret Fried Chicken
- 5-Ingredient Dump-and-Bake Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- Dump-and-Bake Chicken and Rice Pilaf
- La Preferida Fajita-Style Grilled Wings
- La Preferida Chicken and Black Bean Wrap
- Dump-and-Bake Country Captain Chicken
- Effortless Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Steakhouse Green Beans
- Best Pizza Sauce Recipe for a Chicago Deep Dish
- Garlic Parmesan Shrimp
- Buffalo Chicken Breadsticks
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Frosted Peanut Butter Chip Brownies
- French Onion Soup
- No Bake Lime Jelly Cheesecake
- Green Bean Casserole
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes