Hearty Sausage & Rice Casserole
Come in from the cold and try a casserole recipe that will not only warm you up, but also fill you up. Hearty Sausage & Rice Casserole is jam packed with, rice, mushrooms, sausage and cheese. Seasoned with an array of flavorful herbs, its flavor will make you going back for second or even thirds. A meal fit for a lumberjack, chop down your families appetite with this loaded casserole.
Serves6 about 1 1/2 cups per serving
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time1 hr 15 min
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves, crushed
- 1 box (6-ounces) seasoned long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1 3/4 cup Swanson Chicken Broth or Swanson Chicken Stock
- 1 can (10.75-ounces) Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook the sausage in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
Add the mushrooms, celery, pepper, onion, thyme, marjoram and the seasoning packet from the rice blend to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
Stir the sausage mixture, broth, soup, rice blend and 1/2 cup cheese in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Cover the baking dish.
Bake at 375 degrees F. for 1 hour or until the sausage is cooked through and the rice is tender. Stir the sausage mixture before serving. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Read NextClassic Chicken Pot Pie