Ackee and Saltfish (salted Codfish)
Another variation on ackee and salted fish. More ingredients-heavy, and thus similar to 'Ackee and Salt Fish, Take One".
- 2 cans ackee
- 1/2 pound salt fish
- 1/4 cup salad oil or melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped Tabasco pepper
- 1/4 pound salt pork
- 6 strips bacon, fried crisp
- 4 med. sized tomatoes
- 3 stalks leeks or escallion
- 3 med. sized onions, chopped finely
1. Wash the salt fish and then place in a saucepan with sufficient cold water to cover generously and boil for about 15 minutes, or until fish is tender. Pour off water and remove all skin and bones from fish and flake with a fork, after which set aside in the dish in which you are going to serve same. Keep warm.
2. Open cans of ackee and drain off liquid. Set the ackees in a colander, or strainer, over hot water to warm. Fry the diced pork until all the fat has been expressed and only the crisp pork remains. Strain off the fat and set pork aside.
3. To the fat of the pork add the salad oil or melted butter and with this fry the diced escallion, tomatoes, onions, and pepper for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Now pour a small amount of the fried seasoning over the flaked saltfish. Fish in the dish, turning it with a fork. Pour the rest of the fried seasoning over the ackees and the diced pork.
4. Place the crisp fried strips of bacon on top and sprinkle all with black pepper. Serve hot. This dish may be set in a moderate oven to keep warm until ready to serve, but cover with foil before doing so. Garnish with parsley, radish roses or rings of green peppers.