Skillet Cornbread is an authentic home style cornbread recipe that will remind you of simpler times. It's super easy to prepare, since you just need to mix, pour, and bake. Green chilies and red peppers add color and flavor to make it stand out. Adjust the amount to your liking. Enjoy this cornbread with butter and honey with any meal. This one pot recipe will become a favorite in no time. There's nothing better.
- Canola cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 (12-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray oven-proof skillet with canola oil cooking spray and place in oven to heat.
Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Make a well in the center of mixture.
- Combine milk and remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.