Country Style Peas
If you're looking for budget meal recipes, bean recipes are a great option. Especially when it's a recipe like this Country Style Peas. You'll never look at black eyed peas the same way again; this is easy and delicious.
- Serve with cornbread to sop up the pot liquor.
- Peas can be served over rice, but it is not necessary, especially if serving with cornbread.
- If you can’t get tasso or chaurice in your area, substitute a smoked sausage link or ham hock.
- Transform this dish into vegetarian by omitting the meat.
Check out other recipes from Addie K. Martin of Culicurious.
Preparation Time25 min
Cooking Time1 hr 35 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tasso or chaurice, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound blacked-eyed peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Heat oil on medium high heat and add the meat, onion, bell pepper, and celery ribs; season with pinch of salt
- Sauté until veggies are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, bay leaf, peas and salt; stir well.
- Bring to a boil, cover pot and reduce heat to right above low; you want these peas at a low boil- slightly higher than a simmer but not rolling.
- Cook peas at a low boil for 1 hour and 15 minutes; stir occasionally to prevent sticking and to ensure even cooking of the peas.
- After cooking is complete, remove the bay leaf and stir in green onions and serve.
Read NextSlow Cooker Pinto Beans