If you are a fan of Seven Layer Bars, then you're going to love Nanaimo Bars. This layered dessert bar recipe has all of your favorite things: chocolate, graham crackers, coconut, walnuts, custard, and, of course, more chocolate. With a crunchy coconut base, a creamy vanilla custard filling, and a smooth chocolate topping, this easy dessert is the perfect balance of textures. This no-bake dessert recipe is as simple as they come - you won't believe how easy this coconut dessert is to make.
- It is best to cut the bars after topping has chilled for 1 hour, no longer, as the icing may crack if chilled longer before cutting.
- Disclaimer: This recipe uses an uncooked egg. Use of pasteurized eggs is recommended.
- This image courtesy of Dane Soderquist for RecipeLion.com
For another delicious dessert bars recipe you won't be able to pass up, try these Caramel Crack Bars.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 egg
- 2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Prepare a 7 x 11-inch baking pan by lining with foil and leaving edges overhanging to make removal and cutting easier.
- For the base: Combine sugar, cocoa, crumbs, coconut, and walnuts together in a food processor, add the egg and melted butter and pulse just until mixture resembles wet sand. Press into the prepared pan, using the back of a flat measuring cup or glass to make an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or longer.
- For the filling: Meanwhile, cream the softened butter together with the cornstarch and vanilla, then add milk and powdered sugar. Carefully spread the mixture over the chilled base and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the chocolate topping: Melt chocolate and butter together in a bowl over simmering water or in the microwave in 20 second increments until the two can be stirred into a smooth mixture. Using an off-set spatula, carefully spread chocolate over filling in a thin, smooth layer. Refrigerate again for 1 hour before removing from the pan and cutting into bars. Store in the refrigerator.