Almond Cream with Chow Chow
For those of you who don't know what chow chow is, it is a Chinese preserved fruit, found in most Asian grocery stores. It makes a delicious addition to the classic fruit salad.
- Chow Chow is Chinese preserved fruit which can be bought in shops specializing in Chinese groceries.
- 1 pound canned chow chow or mixed fruit salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce unflavored gelatine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- granulated sugar, to taste
- Chop the larger pieces of chow chow in half or drain the mixed fruit salad.
- Place 4 tablespoons of the water in a cup and stand it in a sauce pan of hot water.
- Shower the gelatine into the cup and heat, stirring, until the gelatine has dissolved; cool.
- Heat the remaining water with milk, sugar to taste, and almond essence.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved, stir in the gelatine and pour into a shallow, lightly oiled cake tin and cool until set.
- Cut the almond cream into triangular bite-sized pieces; place these in a serving bowl with the fruit and combine very gently.
- Serve very cold.