This is one of the ultimate party appetizer recipes around! This onion recipe is sure to give you tears of joy. This onion is definitely in bloom, so be sure to eat it fast before the petals fall off.
- 3 cups cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounces beer
- 4-6 colossal onions (4 inch diameter or larger)
- Seasoned flour (recipe below)
- 1 quart Creamy Chili Sauce (recipe below)
- Prheat your deep fryer to 375 to 400 degrees F.
- Mix cornstarch, flour, and seasonings until well-blended.
- Add beer and mix well.
- Cut about 3/4 inch off top of onion, peel onion.
- Cut onion into 12 to 16 vertical wedges, but do not cut through bottom (root end).
- Remove about 1 inch of "petals " from center of onion.
- Dip cut onion in seasoned flour and remove excess by shaking. Dip in batter and remove excess by gently shaking.
- Separate "petals" to coat thoroughly with batter.
- Mix batter after standing to blend ingredients.
- Gently place in fryer basket and deep-fry at 375 to 400 degrees F for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Turn over and fry 1 to 1-1/2 minutes longer or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Place onion upright in shallow bowl and remove center core with a circular cutter or apple corer.
- Serve hot with creamy chili sauce.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
Creamy Chili Sauce
- 1 pint mayonnaise
- 1 pint dairy sour cream
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine mayonnaise, dairy sour cream, chili sauce, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
Read NextCream Cheese Wontons