Penny's Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
There's nothing like the smell of a fresh baked cinnamon roll. The smell makes you dream of biting into a heavenly delight that will take you away to paradise. This wonderful cinnamon roll recipe is filled with pecans and a sweet cream cheese frosting. The best part is when you stop breathing in the enchanting aroma and take your first bite.
- For the Dough:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- For the Icing:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a Kitchenaid mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups bread flour and yeast. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, and salt until 120 degrees F. Remove from heat and stir until the butter is melted. Add to the flour and yeast.
- Mix on low, using a regular paddle, adding the eggs one at a time.
- Change the mixer attachment to the dough hook. Beat the dough at low, adding the remaining flour a little at a time. Increase speed to medium until a soft dough forms, approximately 3 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat both sides. Cover with a clean dish towel.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down and turn out onto a floured surface. Cover and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the light brown sugar, ground cinnamon, chopped pecans, and flour for the filling.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle, approximately 20 inches by 10 inches. Spread with softened butter. Sprinkle with the filling mixture, leaving a 1 inch space on one long edge without filling.
- Starting on the long side, roll the dough up, working it tightly but without pulling the dough too much. Seal the long edge by pinching it shut.
- Cut the dough into 12 even slices by cutting the dough in half, cutting those halves in half and then the quarters into three slices each.
- Place each roll in a large bar pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, allowing about one inch between them. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place about 40 minutes or until doubled.
- TIP: Before allowing the final rise, rolls may be tightly covered and placed in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and allow to rise before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the rolls bake, combine the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla, stirring until well blended. Stir in the powdered sugar and then add the milk a little at a time until reaching the desired consistency.
- Remove rolls from the oven and spread with icing.
Read NextCake Mix Cinnamon Rolls