French Onion Soup Recipe
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"When you’re in the mood for a warm and savory comfort food, this slow cooker French onion soup is a great choice as it’s a classic and amazingly delicious. This is a long, slow dish to cook that adds a nice aroma to your home. Despite the length of time, this is an easy recipe with mostly hands-off time while the slow cooker does the work. This recipe only takes 10 minutes to prep and then you let it cook in the slow cooker. A good French onion soup starts with caramelized onions. If you do it on the stove, this single step will take around 40 minutes. I don’t have the patience for that. So a better way of cooking the onion, in my opinion, is to caramelize it in a slow cooker, completely hands off."
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time2 hr 24 min
- 3 pounds yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 10 cups beef bone broth or beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Sherry, optional
- 6 baguette slices for each bowl
- 1 1/3 to 2 cups grated or shaved Gruyere cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnishing
Place onions in a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in butter and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 12 hours.
Add balsamic vinegar and beef bone broth into the slow cooker. Add Sherry if using.
Cover and cook on low for another 6-8 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Portion and ladle the soup and onions into oven-safe bowls and place the bowls on a baking sheet.
Top each bowl with a slice of toast and a generous amount of grated or shaved Gruyere cheese.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Who doesn't love dessert for breakfast? This Early Riser Apple Cream Cheese Cake is the perfect sweet treat to curve your morning… Continue reading: "Early Riser Apple Cream Cheese Cakevideocam"
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Halloween Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Virginia Country Ham Biscuits
- Pressure Cooker Irish Pork Stew
- Instant Pot Chuck Roast (3 Ways)
- Spritz Cookies
- One-pan Santa Fe Chicken Skillet
- Best Brownie Recipe
- The Greatest Grilled Cheese Sandwich | Version 2.0
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Texas Hash
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes