Amish Style Chicken and Corn Soup
This delicious chicken and corn soup will fill you up and keep you warm and toasty on a cold fall day. It's easy to make a great soup for the whole family kids will love the corn and noodles.
Did you enjoy this recipe? It was featured in a collection of more great Amish recipes. Check out, How To Make Amish Friendship Bread: Plus 10 Other Easy Amish Recipes!
- 1/2 stewing hen or fowl
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 cup egg noodles, cooked
- Combine stewing hen with chicken stock, coarsely chopped onions, carrots, celery, and saffron threads. Bring the stock to a simmer. Simmer for about 1 hour, skimming the surface as necessary.
- Remove and reserve the stewing hen until cool enough to handle; then pick the meat from the bones. Cut into neat little pieces.
- Strain the saffron broth through a fine sieve. Add the corn, celery, parsley, and cooked noodles to the broth.
- Return the soup to a simmer and serve immediately.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Oct 22, 2014
is anyone sending an answer?
Jan 09, 2012
I was born/raised in Amish area in PA. Their food was always our families favorite. These recipes are just WONDERFUL, I'm in Heaven!! Thank you so-oooo very much! Raver originally from PA.
Jan 11, 2011
Joyce D: I'm glad you like the recipe! Let us know how it turns out! michael7baney 9591262: Let us know how it turns out if you tried making it! Thanks! Blair, editor for RecipeLion.com
Jan 11, 2011
I grew up on Pennsylvania Dutch good like chicken pot pie and chicken corn soup. I love having the recipes again. Thanks.
michael7baney 9591 262
Jan 03, 2011
This sounds so easy and good I can't wait for it to be done! Bet you can't stop at one bite.
Mar 12, 2013
nancy grace, my last few pots of chicken broth was tasteless. I had lot of bony pieces, 2 packages of thighs a 4 whole breasts, pluscarrots, Leeks, parsley carrots, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves & saffrom. I cookek it 22/2 hours strained all the hot liguid through cheesecloth, the added chopped parsley, rosemary & thyme. It tasted like warm mwater, are chickens to fault i make it the same way each week, but afre adding lot of salt & pwpper and some sugar in the pot i was making of chicken cooooorn soup, i ended adding lots of boxed broth, Heck i should use the store bought stuff in the first place. Also, the breast I bought from the Giant was tringy and tasted fatty I did take all the fat out, i also had saffron in the broth. If my broth is no better than thT BAch, I my A WELL USW BOXED BROTH.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use