Acorn Squash Bisque
Warm, buttery squash tastes like fall - celebrate the season with Acorn Squash Bisque. This recipe serves 7, so cook up a big pot for a Halloween party!
Preparation Time5 min
Cooking Time1 hr 5 min
- 2 medium acorn squashes (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 2 teaspoons peeled, grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut each squash in half lengthwise. Place squashes, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until tender, let cool.
2. Discard seeds and membrane. Scoop out pulp to yield 2 cups and set aside, discard remaining pulp.
3. In a large saucepan, bring sherry to a boil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add bell pepper, cook 3 minutes, continuing to stir. Add reserved squash pulp, chicken broth, and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place squash mixture in container of an electric blender or food processor, cover and process until smooth. Serve warm.
Read NextRustic Creamy Tomato Soup