St. Simons Island Shrimp Bog
With fresh sea shrimp and bacon, this fantastic soup recipe will have you eating bowl after bowl. Rich and loaded with flavor, it is seasoned with a splash of fresh lemon and garnished with fresh chopped parsley. Soups up.
- 1/2 pound slice bacon, finely diced
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped, with juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds medium-sized shrimp, cleaned
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley,chopped
- In a large pot, fry bacon over medium heat; drain and set aside.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat, add the onions to the pot, then cook for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring.
- Add the rice, 2 1/4 cups of the broth, tomatoes with juices, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and black pepper; bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon, shrimp and the remaining cup of broth; continue cooking, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the bog with a fork, adjust seasonings and sprinkle the parsley on top.
Read NextSlow Cooker German Soup