Homemade Cheesy Potato Soup
Hearty, rich and creamy, this Homemade Cheesy Potato Soup is everything you could want out of a soup recipe and more. With ingredients like onion, celery, carrot, garlic and Cheddar cheese going into this cheesy potato soup recipe, you know this is going to be delicious. One spoonful of this ultra creamy soup will have you hooked, but it's the richly seasoned flavors that will keep you coming back for more. Keep this easy recipe for soup handy because it will soon become one of your go-to weeknight meals and will be requested often by your family.
For a lighter soup, try using reduced fat milk.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or bacon fat
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (approximately 3 cups)
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 1 1/2 cup half and half or whole milk
- 7 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (I used Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- optional garnishes: fresh parsley and cooked, diced bacon
In a large dutch oven or heavy bottom pot, melt the olive oil or bacon fat over low heat and then add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Allow the vegetables to sweat for several minutes until soft.
Add the potatoes and stir well. Allow the vegetables to cook for 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring frequently to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Add the stock, stir, and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat, cover (venting slightly), and allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add the half and half or whole milk and then carefully ladle the soup into a blender. Puree the soup, in batches if necessary, and return the soup to the pot. Do not turn the heat back on. Stir in the cheese in batches until the soup is evenly combined. Add salt, pepper and cayenne.
Serve with optional garnishes. Reheat in small batches to prevent the cheese from breaking.