Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
A nice hearty soup recipe is the remedy for a brisk, chilly day. This fantastic cheddar broccoli soup is easy to make and will have the family eating bowl after bowl. Coming from our friend Bridgett at The Little happy Tomato, each bite is unforgettable.
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time23 min
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 cups chopped broccoli, lightly steamed or blanched (frozen steam bag)
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, for the top of the soup (optional)
- 1 cup croutons (optional)
- Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft. Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper. Cook together, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then whisk in warmed milk.
- Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Add warmed chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended.
- Cook your frozen or fresh broccoli in a separate container until fork tender, then set aside. (I used the microwable frozen broccoli steam package).
- Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. Stir in cooked broccoli. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed. If you need to thin it out you can whisk in some more milk or chicken broth. If it's too thin, you can simmer it a bit longer to thicken it up.
- Serve immediately in bowls or bread bowls. Top with a couple croutons and a small amount of cheddar cheese (optional).
Read NextOld-Fashioned Potato Soup