This recipe was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Healthy Lentil Bread
"I make this all throughout the year, it is fantastic for a work snack, work lunch, working from home quick lunch, to take to a picnic, garden party or in a container to snack after gym. These are just a few ideas. This lentil bread only needs a few ingredients and makes that perfect snack, working from home lunch, work lunch or picnic that you can just grab and go. Nutritious, packed with protein and super delicious. A true Wowzer! "
Preparation Time15 min
Chilling Time1 hr
Cooking Time35 min
- 2 cups red lentils dry quantity
- 200 g feta cheese made into crumbs
- 10 sprigs dill fresh
- 6 spring onions / scallions
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt go for any 5% up fat
- 1 handful olives chopped
- 4 medium eggs or 3 large
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 50 ml olive oil 5-6 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon soda bicarbonate (small teaspoon) 1/2 U.S. teaspoon *
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Wash and soak the red lentils for at least one hour. * See Recipe Notes for more
Sieve the lentils once soaked (no need to rinse) and puree these in a food processor.
Transfer the pureed lentils into a bowl and add the eggs, soda bicarbonate, baking powder, yoghurt, olive oil, black pepper and salt (if adding any). Mix well until homogenised.
Prepare two small bread loaf baking trays by greasing those with some butter or olive oil. Pour in the tins equal amounts the mixture. Sprinkle one tablespoon of sesame seeds on each loaf.
Transfer to the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
Serve warm or cold as a snack or a main with a salad as a side. See other serving suggestions above.
Read NextAmish Carmel Corn
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use