Homemade Marinara Sauce
This Homemade Marinara Sauce is a cinch to make and the perfect companion to the Baked Three Cheese Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage Meatballs dish (see note section for recipe). You'll never buy sauce in a jar again once you make this classic, fresh marinara sauce.
Tip: To peel garlic, remove 4 large cloves from the head of garlic. With the back of a large chef’s knife, place it on the garlic clove and hit the flat side of the knife with the heel of your hand (sharp edge of blade away from you). This will crush the clove and the peel will be removed easily. Discard the peel and chop the clove finely.
Click here to view the recipe for Baked Three Cheese Penne Pasta with Italian Sausage Meatballs.
Cooking Time22 min
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cans (28-ounce) Italian crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a large frying pan, cook the garlic in the oil over medium heat, about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, crushed red pepper, and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes on low heat.