P.F. Chang's Firecracker Shrimp
Spice up dinner with this copycat recipe from P.F. Chang's China Bistro. This dish is the perfect way to save on takeout and create an authentic Chinese dish on your own. Serve this with your favorite rice.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces shrimp
- 7 baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup water chestnut slices
- 24 snow peas
- 1 large scallion (white part), minced into .25 inch pieces
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon sambal chili paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground bean sauce
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Cornstarch slurry (1 teaspoon cornstarch blended with 1 ounce water)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 ounces water
2 teaspoons white vinegar
Assemble sauce ingredients and put aside.
- Heat a large saute pan, cast iron skillet, or electric wok until smoking. Add oil and baby carrots, saute until the color of carrots brightens.
- Add shrimp and stir fry until about halfway cooked. Add water chestnuts, snow peas and garlic. Saute briefly. Add scallions. Add chili paste, ground white pepper, ground bean sauce, when you smell the "nuttiness" of the ground bean sauce, reduce heat and add sherry.
- Introduce sauce mixture, let boil briefly. Add cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened (approximately 30 seconds). Serve with steamed rice on platter or in large bowl, garnish with cilantro.