Copycat Applebee's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Make one of the best restaurant soup recipes in your own kitchen!
There's something about Applebee's Chicken Tortilla Soup that's totally irresistible. We aren't sure if it's the generous chunks of chicken, oodles of peppers and other veggies, or the tantalizing crunch of homemade tortilla strips. Maybe it's all of these things!
No matter what your favorite part of this soup recipe is, we're sure that you'll enjoy being able to make it in the comfort of your own kitchen. Going out to dinner is fun, but there's nothing more relaxing then coming home, kicking off your shoes, and staying in for the night while you cook an easy dinner. This meal is healthy enough for a weeknight, but it's indulgent enough for a weekend treat.
Store any leftovers separate from the tortilla chips so that they do not get soggy. However, we'll be surprised if there are leftovers!
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time30 min
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (yields about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup non-fat sour cream
- 8 ounces processed cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 (6-inch) colored or yellow corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips, fried
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, to taste (optional)
Looking for more restaurant faves? Try this classic from Panera!Copycat Panera Autumn Squash Soup
Applebee's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
Add chicken stock, green pepper, tomato puree, jalapeño pepper, salt, pepper, sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
While soup is cooking: fry tortilla strips in oil. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes. Ensure that soup reaches a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stir in sour cream and cheese.
After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
What restaurant soup recipe would you most like to mimic?
Read NextKFC Nashville Hot Chicken