A & W Coney Island Copycat Sauce
For a taste of summer on the boardwalk any time of year, this A & W copycat sauce recipe can't be beat. To get the authentic Coney Island taste, use Kogel hot dogs and rehydrate dry minced onions in boiling water.
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 5 pounds hamburger
- 64 ounces Hunt's Tomato Paste
- 64 ounces Hunt's Tomato Puree
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt
- Brown hamburger and onions in a very large skillet; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 1/2 hours, stirring frequently as it will tend to stick.