Deep South Sweet Potato Pie
Experience the taste of the south with one of the most fantastic pie recipes around. This Deep South Sweet Potato Pie is truly a southern comfort. With a little bit of molasses, cream and an orange twist you've got heaven on a plate.
- pastry for 9-inch pie crust
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a pie pan with rolled out dough, prick all over with fork, then press a piece of heavy-duty foil directly into the pie shell.
- Bake for 6 minutes, remove foil & bake for 4 more minutes, until just beginning to brown.
- Combine the sweet potatoes and sugar in a large bowl, then beat in molasses and eggs.
- Add the spices and orange zest and stir well. Stir in melted butter and cream. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 degrees F and continue baking for 30-40 minutes (or until filling is firm around edges but center remains slightly soft and quivers when you move the pie).
Read NextOld-Fashioned Southern Chess Pie
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.