Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"If you use a cast iron pan, you don’t even have to transfer the filling to a baking dish before covering it by mashed potatoes. The whole thing can be done in just one pot. Now, that sounds a lot more attractive, doesn’t it? Cooked in a combination of tomato paste, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme, the sauce of the filling is so tasty and rich that it goes well with ground beef, turkey or lamb. Onions, carrots, and sweet peas help keep the dish nutritious and balance well with the meat as well as the creamy mashed potatoes. It’s meaty, healthy, and simply delicious! Hope you enjoy!"
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time35 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan until hot. Sauté carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in onions and sauté for a minute or two, then add ground beef; season with salt and black pepper; add thyme; cook until the meat is browned; drain.
Reduce to medium heat; add the butter and peas; stir until the butter is melted.
Sprinkle with flour and stir until well blended.
Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes