Classic Red Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 (28 oz) cans peeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes or until the vegetables are clear. Add the garlic and the red wine. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce the heat by half, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes on low heat. Whisk the tomato paste with the water. Stir into the pot. Add the thyme and the oregano. Bring the liquid to a boil on high heat. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionaly. Reseason with salt and pepper. Add the fresh basil 10 minutes before serving.
Read NextMacaroni and Cheese Carbonara
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use