Apricot Glazed Cornish Hens with Glazed Baby Carrots
These sweet cornish hens are great served with toasted sliced almonds and the glazed baby carrots included in this recipe. This is perfect for a romantic dinner for two.
About Mr. Food: Art Ginsburg, a.k.a Mr. Food, was the first TV chef to promote practical, “anybody can do it” cooking and food preparation solutions. After years of sharing his unique brand of quick ’n’ easy food tips and recipes with viewers across the country, Mr. Food continues to find fresh ideas for cooking up fun in the kitchen.
- 1 medium orange, quartered
- 4 Cornish hens
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place an orange quarter into the cavity of each Cornish hen and place them in pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine preserves and brown sugar, and pour mixture over hens. Roast, uncovered, for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, or until no pink remains and juices run clear, basting every 20 minutes. Serve whole or cut each hen in half, and serve with additional glaze from pan spooned over the top.
Glazed Baby Carrots
Serves 4 to 6
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) package fresh whole baby carrots, blanched or frozen carrots, thawed
- In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar and cornstarch; mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Add brown sugar and butter.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Add carrots, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Read NextClassic Meatloaf Recipe