Max's Texas Haute Dog
The age long battle of which city has the better hot dog recipe, New York or Chicago, comes to an end. The winner is Texas! This spicy dog (from Maxâ€™s Wine Dive restaurant) is topped with pickled jalapenos, a beer-infused sauerkraut and a drizzle of homemade chili. Max's Texas Haute Dog is a mouthful of flavor.
- For the house-Pickled Jalapenos
- 5 pounds jalapenos
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 pound yellow onion
- 1/4 gallon of water
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 gallon vinegar
- For the St. Arnold's Beer-Infused Sauerkraut:
- 3 onions, shredded
- 4 heads of green cabbage
- 1/2 cup juniper berries
- 1/2 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 3 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 bottles of St. Arnold Brewing Company Lawnmower Beer
- For the Venison Chile:
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/4 cup blended oil
- 5 pounds of poblano peppers, diced and seeded
- 5 pounds jumbo yellow onions, diced
- 10 pounds Broken Arrow Ranch venison, ground
- 10 pounds ground beef, 80% lean
- 3 cans tomato paste
- 1 cup cumin
- 1/2 cup Guajillo chile
- 1/2 cup Ancho Chile
- 1/2 cup Pailla
- 1/4 cup Arbol
- 1/8 cup cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 liter coffee, double strength
- 8 cans Lone Star beer
- 1 can #10 whole tomoatoes
- 1/2 cup Masecca
- For the Haute Dog:
- 4 (8-ounce) Hebrew National all-beef hot dogs
- 4 Kraftsmen Baking hot dog buns
- 24 ounces crispy frites
- 4 ounces crispy onion strings
- 2 ounces house-pickled jalapenos
- 2 ounces Cotija Mexican cheese
- 12 ounces venison chili or St. Arnold beer-infused sauerkraut
- 2 sprigs chervil
To prepare the house-pickled jalapenos:
- Combine all ingredients into a pot and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
To prepare the sauerkraut:
- Cut the cabbage on a horizontal bias to a 1 ½ inch thickness. Cut onions to same thickness.
- In a bowl, mix the dry spices, juniper berries to fennel seeds. Top with both vinegars. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix salt and sugar. Sweat the cabbage in a large stock pot.
- Add the salt and sugar mixture and cook for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, dry spices, bay leaves, and beer. Cook 20 minutes over medium heat.
To prepare venison chile:
- In large pot, heat the butter and oil and sweat the poblano peppers and for 20 minutes.
- Add the venison and beef and cook until brown.
- Add the tomato paste and the dry spices, cumin to salt and pepper. Stir for 10 minutes until incorporated.
- Add the coffee, Lone Star beer, and tomatoes. Simmer for 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix the Masecca with just enough water to make a paste. Add to the pot and stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
To prepare the hot dogs:
- Cook the hot dogs on a hot skillet until cooked through. Heat the buns in the oven for four minutes.
- Place the frites in the center of a large plate. Place the hot dog in the bun and balance on top of the frites.
- Cover with venison chile or sauerkraut. With the venison chile, top with Cotija cheese.
- With either the venison chile or the sauerkraut, top with pickled jalapenos and crispy onion strings. Garnish with the chervil.
Read NextClassic Meatloaf Recipe