Stuffed Cabbage, Italian Style
Easy Italian recipes are the best Italian recipes, and this simple dish is proof of that. Make delicious, inexpensive food that all will enjoy. Experience authentic Italian culture through its food with easy Italian recipes.
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup quick-cooking white rice
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounces jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Trim rib of each cabbage leaf very thin. In 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish, cook cabbage leaves and 2 tablespoons water, covered, in microwave on High 8 to 10 minutes until tender; drain. Set aside.
- In 2-quart casserole, cook oil and onion, covered, on High 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, covered, 3 to 4 minutes until tender. Stir in uncooked rice, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- On center of each cabbage leaf, place about 1/3 cup rice mixture. Fold bottom of leaf over filling; fold sides toward center. Roll tightly, jelly-roll fashion.
- In 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish, arrange cabbage rolls seam-side down. Pour spaghetti sauce over cabbage rolls. Cook in microwave, covered, on High 8 to 12 minutes until tender, rotating dish halfway through cooking.
- Sprinkle rolls with mozzarella cheese; let stand, covered, 3 minutes.
Read NextMicrowave Spinach