Red White and Blue Trifle Dessert
Red White and Blue Trifle Dessert is a great Fourth of July treat! It's easy to make, delicious and patriotic to boot.
You can create your own favorite trifle by substituting any of these 3 main ingredients, your favorite sponge cake mix, pudding/custard flavors, and fruit or other fillings. Here are just a few suggestions:
Low Fat: angel food cake, fat free pudding and low fat whipped topping
Black Forest: chocolate cake, cherry pie filling and custard
Tropical Fruit: angel food cake, mixed pineapple, mangos, papayas, etc. and either vanilla or lemon pudding, sprinkle top with toasted coconut.
Peaches and Cream: angel food cake, sliced peaches with optional peach schnapps.
- 1 angel Food cake mix
- 2 packets vanilla custard or pudding mix
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries (sliced), raspberries and blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup whipped cream topping
- Additional fresh fruit for garnish
- 1/3 cup sherry or other liquor
- Prepare cake according to directions on package and let cool completely.
- Prepare custard or pudding mix according to package instructions and let cool completely.
- Mix fruit with sherry. If you don't want to use alcohol, use a little water or juice instead. You want the fruit to be sitting, but not swimming, in a bit of sweetened juice.
- Cut the cakes into large chunks and cover the bottom of a trifle dish with a layer of cake. Top with a layer of prepared fruit, then a layer of custard. Repeat the process until you are out of ingredients or the bowl is full. Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh fruit. Chill until serving time and scoop out servings with a large spoon to get some of each ingredient.
Read NextLayered Polenta Casserole