Old Time German Cabbage Soup
You can never go wrong with classic German recipes like this one for Old Time German Cabbage Soup. With a whole head of green cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onion and bacon simmering together, this is one of the most flavorful soups we've ever tried. Go back in time and taste the wonderful old-fashioned flavors of eras past by making this traditional German soup recipe.
Cooking Time2 hr
- 4 thick slices bacon, diced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 turnip, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
Tie together the 6 sprigs of parsley and 1 bay leaf.
In a 6-quart saucepan or pot, combine all ingredients except salt, pepper and cheese. Simmer partially covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Discard the parsley bundle, season to taste.
- Pour into hot soup plates and garnish with cheese.