Apple Sauce is a great low-fat snack or dessert. You can use it in healthy recipes as a sugar alternative or serve it alone. Homemade apple sauce is perfect year-round!
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time1 hr
- 5 1/2 pounds tart cooking apples such as pippins or Granny Smiths
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Use 5-6 pounds of tart cooking apples such as pippins or Granny Smiths.
- Put 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice in a large pot. (Not an aluminum one.) Quarter, peel, and core apples. Put in pot. Cover.
- Cook on very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour (until apples turn to mush).
- You can use a potato masher on them if you want smooth applesauce. You can also stir in 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar at the end if you want it sweet.