This dairy recipe shows you how to extend the shelf life of buttermilk. Create more buttermilk by adding other ingredients, which adds more volume without decreasing flavor. Use buttermilk for pancakes or biscuits.
Save 1/2 c. buttermilk to use as base for next batch. Regular milk can be substituted but I like the skim for health reasons.
- 3 cups water, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup dry powdered milk
- 1/2 cup commercial buttermilk
- 1 pinch salt
- Pour water into quart jar. Add powdered milk. Stir until dissolved.
- Add buttermilk and salt. Stir until blended. Let stand at room temperature until thickened. Stir just until blended.
- Refrigerate. Stir before using.
Read NextSimple Overnight Oats