Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork is a delightfully robust pulled pork recipe that will leave your family satisfied. Made with a homemade barbecue sauce and cooked in ginger ale, this makes for a delicious meal.
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 3 pounds to 5 pounds of pork butt
- pork rub, enough to cover entire pork butt
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups ginger ale (water will work too)
- For Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Kelapo coconut oil
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar or 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire, sauce
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
For the Pork:
- Cover pork butt with pork rub, the more the better. Add to crock put.
- Add garlic, onions, and ginger ale to crock put, being careful to pour the ginger ale on the side and not to wash off all of the rub.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork from crock put onto a cutting board. Discard all liquid, onions, and garlic cloves.
- Pull pork with 2 forks being careful to remove any excess fat that is on the pork.
- Return pulled pork to crock pot and add enough bbq sauce to cover all meat.
- Cover and heat through, about 30 minutes to an hour.
For the Sauce:
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add in onion and sauté for about 3 minutes, then add in garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in chili powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and black pepper; stir for 1 minute.
- Add in all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 1 hour over low heat (do not cover the pot or the texture and flavor will be affected, if you have a splatter screen then use it to cover the pot).
- Cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or more before using.