New England Pot Roast
Slow cooked to create the tenderest roast, New England Pot Roast gives the richest aromas and the most enticing flavors. Other oven pot roast recipes lack the flavorful sauce that this roast produces. Enjoy with mashed potatoes for a complete meal.
Cooking Time7 hr
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 3 pounds chuck beef roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 onion, cut into quarters
- 4 carrot, cut into quarters
- 1 celery, cut into eight chun
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 5 cups water
- 1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced onion, instant
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth, reserved
- 2 tablespoons horseradish, prepared (opt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle meat with seasonings. Place onions, carrots, and celery in slow cooker. Top with meat. Add bay leaf, vinegar and water. Cover pot and cook on low 5-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat, turn on high.
- Add cabbage wedges, cover and cook on high 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is done.
- Meanwhile melt butter in saucepan. Stir in instant onion and flour.
- Drain 1-1/2 cups of broth out of cooking pot. Pour broth horseradish and salt into saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Serve sauce over roast with vegetables.
Read NextSlow Cooker Cinnamon Rolls