Oven Bubble and Squeak
What is Oven Bubble and Squeak? Why, nothing more than leftover cabbage and potatoes fried up into a crispy, frugal weeknight supper. This great casserole recipe saves a bit of time (and calories) by oven-baking instead of frying on the stove top.
Cooking Time35 min
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed, or 2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 9 by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- Cut the cabbage in quarters from top to bottom, and cut the stem at an angle to remove the hard inner core. Finely slice each quarter into thin ribbons.
- Bring about an inch of water to a boil in a deep pot, and add the cabbage. Cover the pot tightly and cook the cabbage for 7 minutes, or until very tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter foams and then subsides, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked onion, mashed potatoes, and cabbage with the salt and pepper.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with a little extra salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve hot.