Quick Red Velvet Cake
Red velvet cake is the perfect Valentine's Day dessert. The deep red color invokes hearts and love, and the taste of this delicious cake says the rest. If you're not a frequent baker or if you're short on time, try this short cut version of red velvet cake that uses boxed cake mix.
Need more easy dessert recipes? Check out these 24 Effortless Recipes with Cake Mix for inspiration!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (the size that will make 2 layers)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 eggs
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan (cooking spray is fine).
- Make and bake the cake according to package directions, substituting the oil, buttermilk, cocoa, eggs and food coloring listed above for the package ingredients.
- Cool cake completely.
- Frost with cream cheese icing (recipe below).
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 package (8 ounces) softened cream cheese
- 1/2 box (1/2 lb) plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (add a little at a time)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup softened butter
Cream together and spread on cake.
Read NextCarrot Gooey Cake