Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake
You love easy cake recipes, especially popular ones that everyone enjoys again and again. This recipe for Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake is so simple and tastes amazing! It uses only five ingredients, including pineapple cake mix. Pineapple upside down cakes are often made for special occasions and holidays, which is why you'll want to savor every last bite when you get a slice. The delicious pineapple flavor and unique preparation of this cake make it timeless. Make this cake at your next family reunion and watch as each generation of your family goes gaga.
More simple cake recipes are just a click away! Check out this collection of 24 Effortless Recipes with Cake Mix.
Cooking Time30 min
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple slices, drained and juice measured
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 10 red maraschino cherries
- 1 (16.5-ounce) boxed cake mix, Pineapple Supreme flavor
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch bake pan (or two 9-inch pans) with cooking spray. Cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan, lay it into the pan and rub to coat with the spray, then turn paper over, greased side up.
- Drain the pineapple slices and measure the juice in a measuring cup. Add water as necessary to make 1 cup liquid.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan(s) and arrange circles of pineapple on top. Melt the butter and pour it over the brown sugar and pineapple, then place a cherry into the center of each pineapple circle.
- Place cake mix into large bowl of an electric mixer and with motor on low, beat in the cup of liquid plus the oil. Add the eggs one at a time and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed until completely smooth. Gently pour the batter into the pan(s) and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Cool cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert the pan onto a serving platter. Remove the parchment paper and allow to cool completely before serving.
Read NextLemon Pound Cake
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
May 07, 2017
It's been so long since I've made this cake...back in the day in Home Economics class to be exact. I've been meaning to make it but I never know what to do with the rest of the cake after I've had a piece or two. Does this cake freeze well? Maybe if I made it into cupcakes and froze them individually, I can have Pineapple upside down cake anytime I wanted...that would be wonderful!
Jan 25, 2017
Pineapple supreme flavor? I've never heard of it. Yellow cake would work. I am sure. If you go with yellow cake, you could try different fruits on the bottom. Whatever sounds good. I like the pineapple part, but not fond of the cherry part. I wonder if strawberries would work well instead.
Jan 22, 2017
I haven't had pineapple upside down cake in years! But seeing the picture makes me want to make it soon. I'm not sure if they sell pineapple supreme cake in my local stores. If I can't find it, I too will use yellow cake mix. Ashleroo, what a fun idea to make mini cakes!
Jan 08, 2017
My family LOVES a good pineapple upside-down cake. Where I live, it is hard to find pineapple flavoured cake mix, so I usually just use a generic boxed yellow cake mix, and it turns out just fine. Something that I have done in the past, which is kind of fun, is to use the same recipe and instead of making a full cake, make it in little cupcake tins. You will end up cooking them for a shorter time (I think I just used the guide on the back of the cake box for an idea) and you will have adorable mini pineapple cakes! They look super cute if you top them with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. So much yumminess!
Sep 06, 2015
would definitely want to be sure the pineapple is packed in juice NOT syrup.
Jul 31, 2015
This was super soft and the fresh pineapple was a great.
Jul 31, 2015
I really enjoyed the texture of this cake, not too dry. I might use less sugar to make it a little lighter, though.
Jul 31, 2015
I love pineapple, but I don't think pineapple upside down cake is for me. The cake itself was great, but I avoided the overly sweet pineapple and cherry topping.
Jul 31, 2015
I'm not sure I've ever had pineapple upside down cake before, but this one was simply divine. You might even say it took the cake LOL. I loved how the brown sugar and butter made a sort of crunchy/crumbly top to the cake, and it turned out super-moist. I'll definitely keep this recipe on hand.
Jul 31, 2015
Usually I'm a big fan of anything that has pineapple in it. I did like the cake - but not my favorite. Flavor was good but thought that the cake itself was a little dry. Feeling a little guilty about eating the cake, will have to work out a little more today!
Jul 30, 2015
Yummy pineapple flavor with a surprisingly sweet topping. This is a dessert that both looks and tastes great!
Jul 30, 2015
I love pineapple upside down cake. This one was very sweet and delicious.
ladydianawa 058534 0
May 19, 2014
I also sprinkle some pecan halves between the pineapple rings..nice addition if you like nuts..
Jan 07, 2014
My family and i really enjoy this cake; however, I have made several alterations. First of all, any yellow cake mix will work just fine. I use a 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple and drain it. Simply melt the margarine in the pan, sprinkle the brown sugar, mix. Then sprinkle the crushed pineapple and pour the cake batter on top, bake as directed. Sorry, I dont like marachino cherries, so I dont use them.
Sep 29, 2013
All the butter and margarine that we buy, one stick is marked 1/2 cup. This is a delicious bread .. definitely a keeper!
Jul 30, 2012
I have made this using a Cherry Chip cake mix - when I can find it. As for the amount of juice in a can - you may need to add a little water to make it the amount called for on the box. I have also used orange juice to make up the liquid.
showalterdel 32923 45
Jul 16, 2012
what is the amount of juice in a can of pineapple?
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use