Get a taste of Louisiana with this classic shrimp gumbo recipe. This delicious Cajun dish is a great way to add some spice into your life.
- 1 pound fresh shrimp. peeled and deveined
- 1 quart water
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pound fresh sliced okra (frozen will suffice)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces can whole tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- Saute okra in a skillet with about 2 tbsp. of oil until tender. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, combine 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup flour and stir together over medium heat until mixture becomes a dark roux. Add onions, celery, bell pepper, minced garlic and saute' until vegetables are tender, stirring constantly.Mix in sauteed okra, tomatoes which have been hand crushed with juice, chicken stock, water, bay leaf, thyme, basil, peppers, salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer with the pot loosely covered for about 90 minutes, stirring on occasion. Mixture will thicken.
- Add shrimp and cook only long enough for the shrimp to turn pink and opaque ( a matter of minutes). Remove from heat and stir in file' powder. Do not reboil.
- Ladle over steaming hot white rice.