Dollar Store Southwest Soup
If you are looking for some cheap meal ideas this soup is perfect for you. Dollar Store Southwest Soup is a hit with vegetarians and carnivores alike and, the best part is, many of the ingredients can be found on the shelves of most dollar stores!
To make this recipe healthier, opt for unsalted corn and low sodium broth and beans.
You can find more thrifty ideas and budget recipes from this author at mybargainbuddy.com.
- 2 cans vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni or any other small pasta, cooked according to package
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients (except cooked pasta) to a large soup pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add warm pasta immediately before serving (if you add it too soon, it will soak up all your broth). Serve with cornbread.
Read NextThe Fastest Shepherd's Pie
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Jan 03, 2018
What an easy and affordable soup! My fiance is a big fan of southwest flavours, so I bet that he would love this. I like that it is also a vegetarian recipe, because I am often feeding a crowd that don't all eat meat. I'm wondering how it would taste if you eliminated the pasta and bulked it up with extra veggies like bell peppers? This would be so good topped with cilantro and avocado and served with a side of cornbread. I can't wait to give it a go!
May 01, 2017
This sounds good. I was looking for something to go with cornbread. I was wondering if you cooked the pasta separate and put it into the broth and veggies because you said add the hot pasta? Also, do you ever add any chicken or pork? I was thinking it might be more filling with meat instead of the beans, or you could do both and have leftovers for lunch the next day. Thanks for the clarification!
Jan 25, 2012
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million cooks!
- Get free recipes, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use