WWII Era Savory Carrot Scones with Bacon Recipe
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"During WWII rations dictated the need for alterations to traditional recipes. Women of that period went to extraordinary length to stretch, flour for example, beyond one dish. I love WWII recipes, my [currently] absolute favorite ones are WWII Recipe: The Welsh Cakes, Apple Crumble Pie In A Skillet, and this delicious, filling and easy-to-make WWII Era Savory Carrot Scones With Bacon Recipe. Women often used bacon fat in place of butter, and grated carrot to partially replace flour."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups grated carrot
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add in an egg.
Add in bacon crumbs.
Add in grated carrot.
Add ½ cup cold buttermilk to to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Bring mixture together with hands forming a dough. Add 1 more tablespoon of a buttermilk if the mixture is a bit dry.
Knead dough onto a lightly floured for a few minutes.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
This cinnamon pull-apart bread recipe is all about shortcuts. It only takes five basic ingredients to make Gooey Apple Pull-Apart… Continue reading: "Gooey Apple Pull-Apart Breadvideocam"
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Slimming World Butter Chicken In Slow Cooker
- Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Chennai Style Vadacurry
- Eggplant With Sweet Potato | Traditional And Instant Pot Edition
- Fusion Burritos
- Indo-chinese Paneer Chili
- Instant Pot Sprouted Mung Beans
- Restaurant Style Ranch Dressing
- Quick And Easy Indian Okra Recipe With Air Fryer
- Simple Deviled Eggs
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes