Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich
Slowly cooked to absorb all of it's flavor, this juicy Italian beef recipe is just like the kind you get in the windy city. The question is, how do you eat it? Do you like it extra juicy? With hot peppers or melted cheese? There's no wrong answer with Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwiches. They're always good.
- 9 pounds top inside beef round
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 pounds water
- 1/2 cup oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 35 freshly baked French rolls
- 1 1/2 pound Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- For roasting times, figure on 10-12 minutes per pound for medium. Check with a meat thermometer for an internal temperature of 130 degree Fahrenheit for rare, 140 degrees Fahrenheit for medium.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sirloin in roasting pan and dry roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and add water, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Return to oven and roast at 350 degrees for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Internal temperature will rise 5-10 degrees.
- Thinly slice beef and pile high on freshly baked French rolls. Add cheese if desired. Reserve cooking juices to make wet sandwiches.
- Garnish with sliced sweet bell peppers or hot giardinara. Makes 30-40 sandwiches depending on portion size.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Beef"
There are lots of different ways to prepare and cook beef, and we have hundreds and hundreds of beef recipes to help you out. Check out our meaty selection of beef recipes today!