Easy Black Beans and Rice Veggie Skillet
One skillet is all you need for this Easy Black Beans and Rice Veggie dish! Serve up this colorful and flavorful dish with a slice of warm corn bread for a delicious, healthy, and satisfying meal. One pot recipes like this can never go wrong.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sized zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup white or brown rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sautÃ© for about 3 minutes, until it begins to turn translucent.
Add the diced red and green pepper, and zucchini. SautÃ© for about three more minutes.
Add the corn, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Stir in the can of tomatoes, rice, and water.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then cover with a lid and simmer, on low heat, for about 20 minutes, until the rice is tender. (Brown rice will take about 30-35 minutes.)
Stir in the beans and turn off the heat. Let stand for 7 minutes. Top with cheese and serve.
Read NextItalian Tuna Noodle Casserole