Cajun Sauteed Tofu
Preparation Time5 min
Cooking Time15 min
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic,minced and pressed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- lemon-pepper seasoning to taste
- 1 tablespoon Cajun hot pepper seasoning
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- cooking oil or spray-on cooking oil
Serves two as main dish or four as appetizer.
1. Slice the tofu into 1/2 inch slices. Pat dry and place in a deep bowl.
2. Combine the broth and the next three ingredients (garlic, soy sauce, lemon pepper) and pour over the tofu. Let sit in the refrigerator at least 8 hours.
3. Remove tofu slices from the marinade and pat dry. Combine the cornstarch and hot-pepper seasoning and shake over the sliced tofu.
4. Heat oil in a skillet and saute the slices until they are light brown and crisp. Serve immediately.
If serving as an appetizer, cut tofu into 1 inch cubes. It is also delicious sauteed without the cornstarch crust.
Notes: This is delicious with a side of sesame noodles and steamed or stir-fried oriental vegetables. It also makes a nice "chicken" salad or a sandwich. The marinade makes a nice soup base. You can also purchase the Cajun seasoning in a salt-free version.