Janet's Beef Stew
This is not your ordinary beef stew recipe...it's better! The addition of orange juice makes it really something special. Try it tonight - your family will love it!
Find more awesome beef stews to make in this recipe collection:
Cooking Time1 hr 50 min
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 2 pounds pre-cut stew beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Place meat cubes and flour in a large, resealable plastic bag. Close bag and shake to coat meat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Ccook meat in batches, adding more oil as needed, for 6-8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a large oven-proof casserole.
- Drain most of the oil from skillet, add garlic, onion, and thyme and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is softened.
- Add in tomato, beef broth and vinegar, stirring to scrape up the brown bits; bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over meat in the casserole dish.
- Add potatoes, orange juice and pepper.
- Cover casserole dish and bake for 1 hour.
- Add carrot and peas, and bake uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove casserole from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
Read NextRavioli Soup