Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Creamy soups always make for simple, yet delicious meal in the cold months of the year. Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar soup is a filling flavorful soup that will easily compare to your other favorite soup recipes.
- 1 1/2 pound broccoli, chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- pinch basil, sage, thyme
- dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chop broccoli in a food processor or by hand.
- In a large pot, bring stock to a boil. Add broccoli and simmer until almost done.
- Saute onions in 2 tablespoons of butter (or bacon drippings!). Add onions and seasonings to stock. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Warm milk, cream, and buttermilk.
- Melt remaining 6 tablespoons of butter, in a large saucepan over low heat. When the butter is bubbling, add flour and whisk constantly for 1 to 2 minutes. Add warmed liquids and stir until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, until cheese melts. Gradually add thickened liquids to stock and stir.
- Soup should be very hot, but not boiling. Remove bay leaf. Turn off heat and stir in melted butter. Serve or refrigerate overnight and serve cold.
Read NextStuffed Cabbage Soup